Thursday, June 26, 2014

June 26

So today I started my day at 7:45 where I was very disoriented having Ene talk to me in Spanish as soon as I woke up(ask my mom, I don't even understand English that early) and left to go to Campus Oriente at 9:30 where we are having our orientation. It is a beautiful campus which I guess used to be a very expensive boarding school. The directors and teachers in our program are very nice and much easier to understand (although everyone speaks quickly and drops the S's) and we found out that tomorrow we get to go to the beach after our oral exam for the weekend for orientation! It will be a lot of fun to spend time with the other students and hang out more.

I had a lot more confidence with my Spanish today already and even though I know I make many mistakes I said a lot more than Ok or sí. We also met our "monitores culturales" which are students from the universities who are basically like mentors to us and are there for all of our questions(in spanish of course). I tried an empenada from the campus which was ok because it is like any food you can buy at a kiosk from school. Then our mentor Erick offered to take us to get phones so we walked less than a mile to get to a bus stop where we took the bus to the mall which was huuuuuge, it had 6 floors and I think the middle of it is the tallest building in all of south america. He was very nice and went beyond the call of duty to help us so I am very grateful!

When I got home at about 5 I was very tired but through dinner  I had a lot more conversation with Ene and she said that my spanish is already very good. I showered with the heater on in the bathroom( because you freeze otherwise) and now I will pack for the weekend. I am looking forward to bed because I get a pouch of hot water in a sleeve to put by my feet and it is fantastic.

                                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So I wanted to tell about the food since this post is shorter because there are many different things!

Yesterday for lunch we had a tortilla and salad but it is very different than you would think.
      1. tortilla: a thick kind of pancake which had potatoes and I think eggs and onions, I think it is kind of a staple for meals( like pasta)
      2. salad: basically chop tomatoes and avocados( with every meal, yum!), corn, and lima              beans/green beans but I skipped the last two
-ketchup and mayonnaise are big bags like you would imagine a bag of croutons kind of strange haha
-Coffee: it is mostly instant coffee which is ok but I miss Starbucks a lot.
-galletitos(little cookies) are out all the time so I like that.
With tea(or coffee for me) we have bread and Ene makes very good jelly from plums
---bread is pretty much with every meal.
Tonight for dinner we had soup because it's winter and cold everywhere haha. it was good, reminded me of something from home where you mix an egg in it but I don't know the name of it. I also had a tortilla and bread and salad so basically way too much food but oh well I walked a lot today, that counts for something right?
**something funny was that Ene thinks it strange that we like to drink water all the time because she always drinks tea or juice and also at every restaurant when you order water they always ask: con gas o sin gas? because soda water is very common and regular water often comes from a glass bottle like soda even though there is nothing bad about their tap water. Ok, es todo!

No comments:

Post a Comment